Monday, May 2, 2011

bin laden and the phoenix

Today, may 1st, 2011, the world received news that Osama Bin Laden is dead at the hands of the US military. There is much rejoicing in the world today. I think the rejoicing is both good and premature, but i only hope that this evil man's death can bring some resolution to the many who lost loved ones on 9/11/01 and to the many more who have lost loved one's in the past 9 years in our war on terrorism. I am so thankful i know men and women who have fought for our country. I consider myself blessed to be their friend.(Melissa, Dustin, Mel-a-bel, Nick, Brad, Branden, Kevin, Evan, Neils, William) I am so proud of them and so thankful for them, and for all the military members i don't know, who daily risk their lives for my freedoms and our country. It's strange to think back to 9/11/01...it honestly seems so long ago. I first heard what had happened on the radio in the bus that morning. sitting at a red light coming into gp right by riverside park i listened to the kldr dj announce the world trade center had been attacked. That day, in almost all of my classes, i watched over and over the terrible footage of the plane crashing into the tower. I cried as we learned of the many who were missing and probably dead. I was shocked, scared, and confused. I knew things like this happened, but not in America! In the days and weeks that followed i saw my country come together to mourn and to demand justice. i sought healing for my own pain the writing of a experimental productions play, called simply "9/11" And now, 9 years later, to know that the man responsible for this is dead is confusing in a new way. I am glad he is dead, but isn't it wrong to rejoice in the death of another? and what will this mean for our country now? Im not naive enough to think this will magically mean the war is over and the troops will all come home. let's face it, another will step up to fill Bin Laden's shoes...but them again, maybe not. maybe knowing that we(america) will stop at nothing to bring down terrorists will stop a new bin laden from emerging...i can only hope!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

someone asked me what the title of my blog means, "to rise like a phoenix from the ashes" I'd love to explain it because it fits how im feeling today. To understand what it means you have to understand the legend of the Phoenix. A phoenix is a mythical bird that is a fire spirit with a colorful plumage and a tail of gold and scarlet (or purple, blue, and green according to some legends). It has a 500 to 1000 year life-cycle, near the end of which it builds itself a nest of twigs that then ignites; both nest and bird burn fiercely and are reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix arises, reborn anew to live again. This is of course a myth, but one that fascinated me when i studied it in school. I feel like this symbolism fits my new life. I was alive, beautiful, happy. then i was burned in the worst way, completely destroyed...or so i thought! Really, i was reborn, given a new life and a chance to find true happiness, love, peace and freedom from infidelity and abuse. I have been given a gift, and second chance for the life God has designed for me. The road to get to that place is hard, full of bumps and times when the darkness is overwhelming and i cannot see the light ahead, but it is there!!! That my friends is what my blog title means.

Photobucket

No comments:

Google+ Followers