Wednesday, February 15, 2017

The Fifth Petal by Brunonia Barry

 When a teenage boy dies suspiciously on Halloween night, Salem's chief of police, John Rafferty, now married to gifted lace reader Towner Whitney, wonders if there is a connection between his death and Salem’s most notorious cold case, a triple homicide dubbed "The Goddess Murders," in which three young women, all descended from accused Salem witches, were slashed on Halloween night in 1989. He finds unexpected help in Callie Cahill, the daughter of one of the victims newly returned to town. Neither believes that the main suspect, Rose Whelan, respected local historian, is guilty of murder or witchcraft. But exonerating Rose might mean crossing paths with a dangerous force. Were the women victims of an all-too-human vengeance, or was the devil raised in Salem that night? And if they cannot discover what truly  happened, will evil rise again?

I absolutely love stories that weave in history, and have also always been fascinated by the Salem witch trials and stories about Salem. The 5th Petal incorporates the history well. I found the book a little hard to read though, as the author likes to jump between time periods, and takes a while to walk the story to it's conclusion. Most books I can sit and read for hours, this one I found myself having to put down and come back to a few times. The story evokes rich imagery for me, and includes some nice love(lust) elements. The ending led to the who of the crime, and it wasn't who you expect when you start the book. I liked that a lot, the lack of predictability. All in all, a good read.



I received this book in exchange for my honest review from Blogging for books . All opinions are 100% my own.

No comments:

Google+ Followers